Spicy Black Bean Burgers
March 15, 2013
Advocare Friendly, Easy Dinners, Gluten/Milk Free, Sandwiches, Vegetarian, Weight Watcher Friendly
1/2 c red onion, chopped
3 oz. green chilies
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 c black beans
1/2 c corn
1/2 c gluten-free oats
1 scallion, medium, raw
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red curry powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
1/4 c bread crumbs, plain
1. Add onion, green chilies, and scallions in food processor or blender, pulse 5 or 6 times.
2. Add garlic powder, black beans, corn, oats, cumin, curry, and cayenne into food processor/blender. Season with salt and pepper, pulse 6-8 times. Scrape sides down, and pulse an additional 6-8 times (or until desired consistency achieved).
3. Place mixture into refrigerator, covered, to chill for 2-3 hours.
4. Remove from refrigerator, and stir in bread crumbs.
5. Divide mixture into four equal patties. **After making my four patties, I usually place each patty between wax paper and freeze them at this point. They are easier to work with when the patties are frozen, but you can make them right away, too, if you don’t want to wait 🙂
6. When you are ready to make them, cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick cooking spray. Preheat broiler to low setting and move rack to top setting. Place patties (fresh or frozen…note that fresh patties may have a shorter cook time). Broil patties for about 5-7 minutes on each side. Cook times will vary with each oven. **You could also cook these in a little bit of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat or on the grill.
Yields 4 servings, serving size 1 black bean burger patty
3 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
*add additional points for bun and any additional toppings for burgers
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.
Recipe modified from spoonforkbacon.com