Homemade Crescent Rolls
May 19, 2013
Breads/Muffins, Made from Scratch favorites, Side Dishes, Vegetarian, Weight Watcher Friendly
1/2 c warm water
2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp dry milk powder
1/2 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (I use Smart Balance Light) + 1/2 tbsp melted to brush on top
1 tbsp egg beaters
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour + up to another 1/2 c
1. Begin by combining water and milk powder in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until well combined.
2. Add in yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg beaters and 2/3 c of the flour. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are just wet. Increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
3. Reduce speed back to low. Add in another 1/2 c flour. Once flour is mixed in, increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes. Switch attachment to dough hook at this time for easier mixing. Add remaining 1/2 c flour at low speed until integrated in, then increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
4. If necessary, add additional flour until you reach the desired consistency. Dough should be soft and not overly sticky, but not stiff either.
5. Scrape dough down into bottom of bowl with spatula. Coat the sides of the bowl with non-stick spray or a tbsp of oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place. Allow dough to rise (about a 1 hour to 1.5 hours) and double in size.
6. Scrape dough from bowl onto flour-dusted counter top (if dough is still sticky, kneed a little flour into it until you are able to work with it without it sticking). Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle.
7. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 8 triangles. Roll triangles starting at the big end. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops of each crescent roll with melted butter. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Yields 4 servings, serving size 2 crescents
4 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.
Recipe modified from homemade-recipes.blogspot.com