May 30, 2013
Breads/Muffins, Side Dishes, Vegetarian, Weight Watcher Friendly
Tops of bagels should be smooth. Bottoms should be golden brown.
1 3/4 cup lukewarm water
1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
4 to 4 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup jalapenos, chopped
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Preheat oven to 400. Move center rack up to the top 1/3 position (not the highest position, but higher than the middle rack position)
2. In a stand mixer, add water, yeast, salt and sugar. Mix on low speed with paddle attachment until well combined.
3. Add flour 1 cup at a time. After the second cup, switch to a dough hook attachment. Add remainder of flour 1 cup at a time.
4. Add jalapenos and crushed red pepper flakes. Mix into a ball and knead 5-7 minutes or until flour is all mixed in. Dough should be slightly tacky but able to be handled and rolled. Remove dough from bowl and knead with palms of your hands on a flour dusted counter top for 3 minutes. If dough is too sticky, knead in more flour. Let dough rest 10 minutes in a ball in counter top.
5. Cut dough into 12 equal pieces with a pizza cutter (about 3.5 to 3.75 oz. per piece).
6. Roll each piece of dough on a table to form snake-like shapes. Overlap the two ends of the snake-shape to form a circle or ring with each piece, making sure to connect each joint securely by pinching the dough together or it will come apart while boiling. Place each dough ring on a cookie sheet.
7. Cover with a damp towel and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm spot.
8. Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Place bagels in boiling water for 30 seconds each. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
9. Bake bagels for 10 to 15 minutes. Allow bagels to cool on cooling rack before eating.
Yields 12 servings, serving size 1 bagel
5 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.
Recipe modified from www.cdkitchen.com