Turkey Dog Spaghetti Squids in Homemade Cheese Sauce
June 1, 2013
Easy Dinners, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Pasta Dishes, Weight Watcher Friendly
1 1/2 oz. whole grain thin spaghetti (about 96 pieces)
8 turkey dog franks (I use Ball Park brand)
1/2 tbsp Smart Balance Light butter
3/4 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 c + 1 1/2 tbsp skim milk
1/4 c reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/8 c reduced fat Colby & Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1. Bring a large pot to a rolling boil over high heat.
2. While waiting on your water to boil, cut each turkey dog into thirds. Thread four pieces of spaghetti through each of the pieces of turkey dog.
3. Place “turkey dog spaghetti squids” in boiling water. Reduce heat to medium. Cook about 7 minutes.
4. While squids are boiling, prepare the cheese sauce. In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour to butter and stir to combine. Gradually whisk in milk until butter/flour is all mixed in.
5. Allow to cook over medium-low heat until sauce thickens (about 5 minutes). Stir in both cheeses, chili powder, and garlic powder. Cook an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and reaches desired thickness.
6. Drain squids from boiling water. Add squids to cheese sauce and stir until evenly coated with cheese.
Yields 4 servings, 6 turkey dog spaghetti squids (equal to two turkey dogs)
5 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers