June 2, 2013
Kid-Friendly Dishes, Made from Scratch favorites, Pizza, Weight Watcher Friendly
1/2 c warm water
2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp dry milk powder
1/2 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (I use Smart Balance Light) + 1 tsp melted to brush on top
1 tbsp egg beaters
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour + up to another 1/2 c
1/2 c pizza sauce
1/2 c fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded
24 turkey pepperonis
Italian seasoning to sprinkle on top
*This recipe uses the dough from the original homemade crescent rolls found here.
1. Begin by combining water and milk powder in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until well combined.
2. Add in yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg beaters and 2/3 c of the flour. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are just wet. Increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
3. Reduce speed back to low. Add in another 1/2 c flour. Once flour is mixed in, increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes. Switch attachment to dough hook at this time for easier mixing. Add remaining 1/2 c flour at low speed until integrated in, then increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
4. If necessary, add additional flour until you reach the desired consistency. Dough should be soft and not overly sticky, but not stiff either.
5. Scrape dough down into bottom of bowl with spatula. Coat the sides of the bowl with non-stick spray or a tbsp of oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place. Allow dough to rise (about a 1 hour to 1.5 hours) and double in size.
6. Scrape dough from bowl onto flour-dusted counter top (if dough is still sticky, kneed a little flour into it until you are able to work with it without it sticking). Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle.
7. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 4 equal pieces. Spoon 2 tbsp (1/8 c) pizza sauce onto each cut section. On top of that add 2 tbsp (1/8 c) mozzarella cheese to each section. Lastly, add six pepperoni onto each section.
8. Fold dough over from end to end, pulling the dough over pizza ingredients. Pinch the outside of the dough together to form a pocket encasing sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Be sure dough is sealed tight all the way around the pocket or it will come apart during baking.
9. Place calzones on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush the top of each calzone with a little bit of melted butter and sprinkle each with Italian seasoning.
10. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
11. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Slice pocket in half with a knife. Serve immediately.
Yields 4 calzones, serving size 1 calzone
7 Points on Weight Watchers Points+ System