Caramelized Apple Pie Topped Cheesecake Pancakes
July 4, 2013
Breakfast, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Vegetarian, Weight Watcher Friendly
for the topping-
4 large Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled, chopped
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c Smart Balance Light butter
3 tbsp Unsweetened Apple Juice
1/8 c Caramel coffee creamer
3/4 c all-purpose flour
1/3 c sugar
1/4 c Smart Balance Light Butter, cold
for the pancakes-
2 c pancake mix (your favorite variety)
1 2/3 c skim milk
2 tbsp oil
1 small package Sugar Free Cheesecake Flavored Jello Instant pudding, dry
1. In a large, heavy-bottom sauce pan, add apples, 1/2 c butter, 3/4 c sugar, apple juice, and coffee creamer. Bring to a boil, and simmer without stirring until sugar caramelizes and creates a thick glaze that coats the apples (about 15-20 min).
2. Preheat oven to 425. Spray a glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. While apples simmer, combine 3/4 c flour and 1/3 c sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Cut cold butter evenly into flour and sugar until it resembles small pebble-sized pieces. Set aside.
4. Pour caramelized apples into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle flour/sugar mixture over caramelized apples. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until golden yellow.
5. While apple mixture bakes, prepare pancakes. Preheat griddle to about 325.
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine pancake mix, milk, eggs, oil, and instant pudding. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
7. Scoop 1/4 c servings of pancake mixture onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until golden brown, flip and cook until golden brown and pancake mixture is cooked through.
8. Place one pancake on plate, top with about 1 tbsp of caramelized apple pie topping. Add another pancake on top, and add another tbsp of apple pie topping. Serve immediately.
Yields 8 servings, serving size 2 pancakes + 2 tbsp apple pie topping
10 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.