Soft Whole Wheat Pretzels
July 8, 2013
Breads/Muffins, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Side Dishes, Vegetarian, Weight Watcher Friendly
2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 1/2 c warm water, divided
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp Smart Balance Light butter, melted
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
3 tbsp light mayonnaise
2 tbsp grainy mustard
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
3 1/2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1. In a small bowl, combine 1 c warm water, yeast, and sugar. Cover and let set for 5 minutes, or until frothy.
2. In stand mixer bowl, combine flour and salt. Once yeast mixture is ready, pour into flour and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are incorporated into wet.
3. Switch to dough hook and kneed for 4-5 minutes on medium speed. Remove dough and coat mixing bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Return dough to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
4. Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
5. In small bowl, combine 1/2 c warm water and baking soda. Stir until baking soda is dissolved. Remove dough from bowl and punch it down. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 10 equal portions.
6. Roll out each piece on counter top like a long snake and form into pretzel shapes. Dip each pretzel into the water/baking soda mixture and place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all 10 pretzels have been rolled and dipped.
7. Cover pretzels on baking sheet with a towel and let set for 10 minutes.
8. Remove towel and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Pour some coarse salt into a shallow dish. Remove pan, brush pretzels with melted butter and dip the top of each pretzel in salt.
10. (I did this while my pretzels were in the oven) To make the honey mustard dipping sauce, combine all ingredients. Whisk until all ingredients are well incorporated. Chill for about 15 minutes prior to serving.
Yields 10 servings, serving size 1 pretzel + 1 tbsp honey mustard dipping sauce
4 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System (3 pts for pretzel, 1 pt for honey mustard sauce)
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.
Recipe modified from shopgirlmaria.blogspot.com