Bacon Cheeseburger Roll Up
July 9, 2013
Ground Turkey Dishes, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Weight Watcher Friendly
for the dough-
2 1/3 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 c + 1 tbsp warm water
for the filling-
1 lb. extra lean ground turkey
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin, ground
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 c real bacon crumbles, 50% less fat (found in the salad dressing aisle, or 3-4 slices of cooked, crumbled turkey bacon)
6 oz. reduced fat Colby & Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
*(optional) Barbecue Sauce for drizzling (see note at bottom)
1. Begin by preparing the dough. In stand mixer bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Create a small well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add in warm water and olive oil. Mix until wet and dry ingredients are just incorporated.
2. Switch to dough hook and kneed for 5 minutes on low speed. Remove dough from bowl, spray bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Return dough to bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot for 20-30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray one strip down the center of the foil with non-stick cooking spray (don’t spray the entire sheet or the cooking spray with burn and smoke during baking).
4. While dough is rising, prepare cheeseburger filling. In a small bowl combine salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and chili powder. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
5. In a medium skillet, cook ground turkey over medium high heat until turkey is white and no longer pink. Reduce heat to low. Stir seasoning mix into cooked turkey until all meat is coated with seasoning. Add shredded cheese and stir until cheese is well incorporated and melted. Turn off heat.
6. Turn dough ball out onto counter top (it doesn’t have to be floured). Using your hands and finger tips, press dough out into a large rectangle of even thickness. Mine was probably about 1/8″ thickness.
7. Spread cheesy turkey mixture on top of dough. Top evenly with bacon crumbles. Begin at one end and begin rolling dough to close in the turkey mixture. Seal ends by pinching them together. Pinch dough along the seam to seal it as well so that no filling spills out. Place roll on prepared baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Allow to cool for at least 5-7 minutes. Use a serrated knife to slice into 10 pieces. Serve drizzled with barbecue sauce, if desired.
Yields 10 servings, serving size 1 slice
6 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.
*You could also drizzle the bbq sauce on top of the turkey & bacon before rolling it up and bake it right into the roll up instead of drizzling it on after it’s cooked. I didn’t do it this way because I have a very picky 7 yr. old who doesn’t like bbq sauce 😦