Slow Cooker Tangy Orange Chicken
July 25, 2013
Chicken Dishes, Crock pot meals, Gluten/Milk Free, Weight Watcher Friendly
for the chicken-
2 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp hickory liquid smoke flavoring
1 c water
for the sauce-
1/2 c + 1/8 c ketchup
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1/8 c molasses
1/8 c pineapple juice
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp salt
4 tsp brown mustard
3/4 c orange marmalade
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
1. Rinse chicken breasts and place in bottom of crock pot. Pour water and liquid smoke flavoring into crock pot with chicken. Add chopped onion on top of chicken. Place lid on crock pot. Cook on high for 4-6 hours (cook time varies with each crock pot), or until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center.
2. With about 20 min. of cook time remaining for chicken, prepare sauce. In a medium sauce pan, add ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, pineapple juice, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and brown mustard over medium high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. In a small dish, add 1 tsp cornstarch and 1 tbsp water. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved. Add to sauce mixture. Simmer an additional 2 minutes. (if you stop making the sauce here, it is an absolutely amazing Homemade BBQ sauce!)
4. Whisk in orange marmalade until sauce is smooth. Dissolve remaining 1 tsp cornstarch in 1 tbsp water in small dish. Add to orange sauce mixture. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or until sauce thickens. Remove sauce from heat.
5. When chicken is finished cooking, remove chicken and onions onto a platter. Discard liquid in crock pot. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Place chicken and onions back in crock pot. Pour orange sauce over chicken. Turn heat down to low. Cook an additional 30 minutes.
6. Optional: Serve orange chicken over brown rice.
Yields 9 servings, serving size 1/2 c orange chicken
6 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
*add additional points for brown rice
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.