Sausage, Egg, & Cheese Crescent Boats
September 27, 2013
Breads/Muffins, Breakfast, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Made from Scratch favorites, Vegetarian, Weight Watcher Friendly
for the dough-
1/2 c warm water
2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp dry milk powder
1/2 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter (I use Smart Balance Light)
1 tbsp egg beaters
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour + a tad more for dusting counter top
for the filling-
3/4 c egg beaters
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 turkey sausage patties (I use Jimmy Dean’s), chopped (Use BOCA crumbles for vegetarian option)
6 tbsp fat free cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Begin by combining water and milk powder in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until well combined.
2. Add in yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg beaters and 2/3 c of the flour. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are just wet. Increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
3. Reduce speed back to low. Add in another 1/2 c flour. Once flour is mixed in, increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes. Switch attachment to dough hook at this time for easier mixing. Add remaining 1/2 c flour at low speed until integrated in, then increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
4. If necessary, add additional flour until you reach the desired consistency. Dough should be soft and not overly sticky, but not stiff either.
5. Scrape dough down into bottom of bowl with spatula. Coat the sides of the bowl with non-stick spray or a tbsp of oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm place. Allow dough to rise (about a 1 hour to 1.5 hours) and double in size.
6. Preheat oven to 425°. Spray a 6-cup mini loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
7. Scrape dough from bowl onto flour-dusted counter top (if dough is still sticky, kneed a little flour into it until you are able to work with it without it sticking). Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a rectangle.
8. Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into six equal rectangles. Press each piece of dough into the prepared loaf pan, pressing the dough up the sides of the pan.
9. In a small bowl, combine egg beaters and pepper. Spoon 1/8 c of egg beater mixture into each dough boat.
10. Divide pieces of sausage evenly on top of egg mixture into each boat. Top each with 1 tbsp shredded cheese.
11. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until egg is set and cooked through. Allow to cool 5 minutes in pan before removing.
Yields 6 servings, serving size 1 crescent
6 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.