Apple Pie Spice Bread
October 9, 2013
Breads/Muffins, Made from Scratch favorites, Side Dishes, Vegetarian
for the dough-
1 c apple cider (or apple juice)
2 tbsp Smart Balance Light dairy free butter
3 3/4 c bread flour
1/2 c walnuts (optional)
1/4 c brown sugar, packed
1 1/4 tsp apple pie spice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp active dry yeast for bread machines
for the topping-
1 tbsp caramel sauce, warmed
1 1/2 tbsp multi grain oats, dry
1. Add all ingredients for the dough to bread machine according to your bread machine recommendations. Mine has me add them in the order listed above.
2. Set your bread machine to a large loaf on the sweet dough setting.
3. Allow the bread machine to do its thing for a while. Tidy up your kitchen, make a grocery list, take your kids to softball practice…
4. At the end of the dough cycle, remove dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead bread two or three times. Shape bread into a loaf and place in a bread pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Cover dough with a towel and place in a warm place for a final rise (I put it in the oven with just the light turned on. It’s a draft free place and the light keeps it just warm enough for a rise period). Let it rise until it’s at least double in size…anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. The longer you let it rise, the bigger the loaf will be.
6. After the final rise period, preheat your oven to 350°.
7. Brush warmed caramel sauce over the top of the loaf. Then, sprinkle oats on top of the caramel sauce.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Cool bread in pan for about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing.
Yields 1 large loaf