November 17, 2013
Breakfast, Made from Scratch favorites, Weight Watcher Friendly
for the crust-
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c all-purpose white flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp table salt
4 1/2 tbsp skim milk
1/2 c Smart Balance Light butter, cold
for the quiche-
1 1/2 c onions, sliced
2 tbsp Smart Balance Light butter
1 1/2 c fat-free half-and-half
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 c bacon crumbles, cooked (I used turkey bacon)
1 c reduced fat colby and monterey jack cheese, shredded
2 cup Egg Beaters Egg Substitute (equal to 8 eggs)
1. Add 2 tbsp butter to a large skillet over low heat. Add sliced onions to pan and allow to cook down until caramelized, about 20 minutes. Set aside to coll after finished cooking.
2. While onions are cooking, prepare pie crust. Combine together the flours, sugar, and salt to a large mixing bowl.
3. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter (a fork will work just as well), until it resembles crumbs. Add milk one tbsp at a time combining well after each addition. After the last milk addition, form dough into a ball with your hands.
4. Roll dough ball out onto flat counter until it is large enough to cover the bottom and sides of a deep dish pie plate. Roll the dough up on the rolling pin and carefully transfer it to the pie plate. Roll the dough out and press it down into the bottom and along the sides of the dish. Use a knife to cut dough evenly around the top of the dish and remove any excess dough that is hanging off. *Optional: Spruce up the top of the crust with a design of your choice with whatever dough is left over.
5. Set uncooked pie crust aside. Preheat oven to 375°.
6. In a large bowl, combine egg beaters, half and half, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
7. Add bacon crumbles, caramelized onions, and cheese to egg mixture. Stir until well combined. Pour egg mixture into deep dish pie plate.
8. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until egg is set and no longer runny.
9. Allow quiche to set for about 15 minutes before cutting into it. Slice into 12 equal servings.
Yields 12 servings, serving size 1 slice
5 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.
recipe modified from www.thepioneerwoman.com