for the dough-**if you don’t want to make your crescents from scratch, use 2 cans of store-bought crescent rolls 1 c warm water 5 tbsp + 1 tsp dry milk powder 1 tbsp active dry yeast 2 tbsp sugar 1 tsp salt 1/4 c Smart Balance Light butter + 1 tbsp melted (to brush on top) 2 tbsp Egg Beaters 3 1/4 c all-purpose flour
for the filling-homemade taco seasoning OR one packet of store-bought taco seasoning 3/4 lb extra lean ground hamburger 3/4 c reduced fat Mexican cheese, shredded 1/4 c water
(optional serving suggestions) taco toppings-refried beans taco sauce white con queso cheese dip sour cream
Directions:**If making your crescents from scratch follow steps 1-7. If using store-bought crescents, skip to step 8. 1. Begin by combining water and milk powder in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until well combined.
2. Add in yeast, sugar, salt, butter, egg beaters and 1 1/4 c of the flour. Mix on low speed until all ingredients are just wet. Increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
3. Reduce speed back to low. Add in another 1 c flour. Once flour is mixed in, increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes. Switch attachment to dough hook at this time for easier mixing. Add remaining 1 c flour at low speed until integrated in, then increase mixing speed to medium for 2 minutes.
4. If necessary, add additional flour until you reach the desired consistency. Dough should be soft and not overly sticky, but not stiff either.
5. Scrape dough down into bottom of bowl with spatula. Coat the sides of the bowl with non-stick spray or a tbsp of oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and place in a warm place. Allow dough to rise (about a 1 hour to 1.5 hours) and double in size.
6. Scrape dough from bowl onto flour-dusted counter top (if dough is still sticky, kneed a little flour into it until you are able to work with it without it sticking). Using a rolling pin, roll dough into a circle.
7. Use a pizza cutter to cut into 16 triangles. 8. On a round pizza pan, begin overlapping triangles to form a circle. Each time you add a new triangle, pinch dough seems together. Repeat until all 16 triangles have been used and dough forms a complete circle. 9. In a large skillet, brown hamburger over medium high heat. Drain excess grease from hamburger and discard. Add taco seasoning and 1/4 water to cooked hamburger. Reduce heat to low and stir until the water has been absorbed and the meat is evenly coated with seasoning. 10. Spoon hamburger filling onto crescent ring. I try to fill it as much as possible. Sprinkle 3/4 c shredded cheese over the top of the hamburger. 11. Begin pulling the triangle pieces over the meat and cheese filling. Pinch the crescent dough underneath the ring so that it won’t separate when cooking. Repeat with the remaining triangles until all of the meat and cheese filling is encased in crescent dough. 12. Brush 1 tbsp melted butter on top of the taco ring. Sprinkle some shredded cheese on top of the brushed, melted butter. 13. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until crescent dough is baked through. 14. Cut taco ring into eight equal pieces. Serve with your favorite taco toppings. Yields 8 servings, serving size 1 piece 7 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System *add additional points for toppings I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.