Sausage & Sun-dried Tomato Penne
April 26, 2014
Pasta Dishes, Turkey Sausage Dishes, Weight Watcher Friendly
2 c (8 oz.) whole wheat Penne noodles, uncooked
13 oz. Hillshire Farms smoked turkey sausage, chopped
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (more if you like it spicy or you can leave them out all together)
3 tbsp Smart Balance Light butter
1/4 c flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 1/2 c fat free milk
6 sun-dried tomato halves, diced
1 c reduced fat mozzarella
1/2 c grated Parmesan
1. Cook Penne noodles according to package directions. Drain and discard water.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and garlic powder. Heat for about one minute.
3. Gradually whisk in milk and bring to a simmer for 5-7 minutes. Continue whisking as sauce thickens. Add in dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper and cook an additional one minute.
4. Reduce heat to low. Stir in mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, sausage pieces, and noodles. Continue to stir over low heat until heated through about 3-5 minutes.
5. Transfer to serving dish.
Yields 9 1/4 servings, serving size 3/4 c
7 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
Other point values for this dish:
1 c = 9 points
1/2 c = 4 points
I am in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers.