Whole Wheat Mozzarella Sticks
October 16, 2014
Appetizer, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Made from Scratch favorites, Side Dishes, Vegetarian
12 reduced fat (2%) mozzarella sticks
1 1/2 c Whole Wheat Panko
1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 c Whole Wheat flour
5 egg whites
1/4 c Marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Remove cheese sticks from wrappers. Cut each stick in half. Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
3. While cheese sticks are freezing, set up dredging station with three shallow bowls. In the first bowl, add flour. In the second bowl, add egg whites and whisk lightly.
4. In the third bowl, combine Panko, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
5. Remove cheese sticks from freezer. Working quickly, add about 5 cheese pieces to the flour, coating each stick completely. Move flour coated sticks to the egg whites, and coat completely. Then move egg/flour coated sticks to the Panko, coating completely. Place sticks on a clean plate. Repeat process with remaining cheese pieces.
6. Once all cheese has gone through dredging once, discard the remaining flour. At this point, I like to take them through a second dredging for a nice, thick breading. To do this, dip each coated cheese piece in egg whites and then in Panko for a second time. Repeat this process with all remaining cheese pieces.
7. Once cheese has gone through a second dredging, place each stick on the prepared baking sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
Yields 12 servings, serving size 2 pieces