Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
January 18, 2015
Breakfast, Gluten/Milk Free, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Made from Scratch favorites, Oatmeal, Vegetarian
2 1/2 c multigrain oats (quick oats would work also)
1/2 c raw, unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 c flaxseed meal
1 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 c honey
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/8 c (2 tbsp.) packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Roughly chop almonds.
2. Spread oats and almonds on an unlined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, stirring half way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
3. Line a 13×9 baking dish with a silicone baking mat. It is helpful if the mat is slightly larger than the baking dish and comes up on the sides. Set aside.
4. Once oat/almonds are cool, transfer to large bowl and add flaxseed meal and chocolate chips. Stir together.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together honey, oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and egg whites.
6. Pour honey mixture over oat/almond mixture in large bowl. Stir until oats are well coated.
7. Press granola with rubber spatula into prepared baking dish. Be sure to firmly and evenly press granola down.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 2 hours.
10. Using the sides of the silicone mat, carefully pull up and pull the granola out of the baking dish. Cut granola into 16 equal bars. Store in an air tight container.
Yields 16 servings, serving size 1 granola bar