January 25, 2015
Kid-Friendly Dishes, Made from Scratch favorites, Pizza, Weight Watcher Friendly
for the pizza dough-
1 1/2 c water
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. honey
4 c whole wheat flour
1/3 c wheat germ
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
to brush on the crust-
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 c pizza sauce
3/4 c 2% mozzarella cheese
1/3 c fresh pineapple chunks
1/2 c Canadian bacon, chopped
1. Add ingredients for the pizza dough to bread maker. Follow manufacturer’s directions for adding ingredients. My bread maker suggests adding the ingredients in the order listed. Set bread maker for a large loaf on the dough setting.
2. When bread maker is finished, remove dough from pan. Using your hands, stretch and pull dough until it is even all the way around and about 1/4″ thickness. Place on an ungreased pizza pan. Allow to rise for 1 hour in a draft-free, warm place. (I usually just put it in my oven, turned off, with the light on.)
3. After final rise, mix together the ingredients to brush on the crust. In a small dish, combine 1 tbsp oil, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Brush mixture about 2 inches around the outside edge of the pizza dough for the crust.
4. Bake in oven for 7 minutes. Remove and top with pizza sauce, cheese, ham, and pineapple.
5. Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until pizza is golden brown and dough is cooked through. Cut into 8 pieces.
if cut into 8:
Yields 8 servings, serving size 1 piece
5 points on Weight Watchers Points+ System
January 18, 2015
Breakfast, Gluten/Milk Free, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Made from Scratch favorites, Oatmeal, Vegetarian
2 1/2 c multigrain oats (quick oats would work also)
1/2 c raw, unsalted almonds, roughly chopped
1/2 c flaxseed meal
1 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 c honey
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1/8 c (2 tbsp.) packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 large egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Roughly chop almonds.
2. Spread oats and almonds on an unlined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes, stirring half way through. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
3. Line a 13×9 baking dish with a silicone baking mat. It is helpful if the mat is slightly larger than the baking dish and comes up on the sides. Set aside.
4. Once oat/almonds are cool, transfer to large bowl and add flaxseed meal and chocolate chips. Stir together.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together honey, oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and egg whites.
6. Pour honey mixture over oat/almond mixture in large bowl. Stir until oats are well coated.
7. Press granola with rubber spatula into prepared baking dish. Be sure to firmly and evenly press granola down.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for 2 hours.
10. Using the sides of the silicone mat, carefully pull up and pull the granola out of the baking dish. Cut granola into 16 equal bars. Store in an air tight container.
Yields 16 servings, serving size 1 granola bar