January 3, 2016
Easy Dinners, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Pasta Dishes, Turkey Sausage Dishes
13.25 oz. whole wheat dry pasta
3 tbsp. butter (I use Smart Balance Light)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp. flour
1 c fat free chicken broth
2 c fat free half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
2 c Mozzarella cheese, divided
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
12 oz. turkey sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
1. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions.
4. While pasta is cooking, melt butter in large skillet over medium low heat. When butter is melted, add minced garlic. Allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes.
5. Mix flour into butter and garlic. Gradually whisk in chicken broth until smooth. Add in half and half.
6. Stir in salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
7. Add Parmesan and 1 c of Mozzarella to sauce. Stir until completely melted.
8. Add diced turkey sausage pieces and parsley to cheese sauce.
9. Drain pasta completely and stir into cheese and sausage mixture until pasta is completely coated. Transfer to baking dish. Top with remaining 1 of Mozzarella.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese on top is melted.
Yields about 6 servings
November 28, 2015
Appetizer, Chicken Dishes, Crock pot meals, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Tortilla/Wrap/Quesadilla Style
8 oz. Buffalo Wing Sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot)
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 dry ranch packet
8 oz. 1/3 less fat original cream cheese
1 c reduced fat (2%) shredded cheese
6-8 large tortillas
1. Add chicken, buffalo wing sauce, and ranch packet to slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours (cook time will vary with different slow cooker models).
2. Remove chicken from slow cooker onto plate. Shred using two forks. Set chicken aside.
3. Whisk cream cheese into buffalo sauce that is in the slow cooker. Once it is completely melted and mixed well, add chicken back into sauce.
4. Turn off slow cooker. Put buffalo chicken mixture into a dish to chill in the refrigerator for about 30-45 minutes.
5. Once chicken mixture is chilled (I zapped mine in my food processer a few times to make it easier to spread before adding the cheese), stir in shredded cheese to buffalo chicken mixture.
6. Lay tortillas out flat on counter. Spoon buffalo chicken mixture onto tortilla and spread into an even layer.
7. Beginning at one end, roll up tortilla. Slice into bite-sized pieces. Repeat process until all of the buffalo chicken mixture is gone (I used 7 tortillas).
8. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Yields about 42 roll ups (will vary depending on how much chicken mixture you put in each tortilla and how big you cut your roll ups)
November 15, 2015
Crock pot meals, Easy Dinners, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Soups
1 1/2 c water
3 c skim milk
1 lb yellow potatoes, cubed
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 c matchstick carrots
1 1/2 c corn (I use frozen)
16 oz. fully cooked cubed ham
10 strips fully cooked turkey bacon, diced
2 packets chicken broth concentrate (My packets are 0.42 oz each)
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Add all ingredients except flour and cheese to slow cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
2. In a small dish, add flour with 1/4 c water. Mix together until there are no lumps. Gradually stir into crock pot with cooked ingredients.
3. Add cheese to crock pot. Stir until melted and well incorporated.
Serving size 1 c, yields about 15 servings.
October 20, 2015
Chicken Dishes, Easy Dinners, Kid-Friendly Dishes
1 c brown rice, dry (I use Rice Select Organic Texmati Brown Rice)
2 1/4 c water
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb chicken tenderloins (or 6-8 chicken tenderloins)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
slow cooker queso
1. Prepare rice by adding water, rice and salt to large pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, stir once. Cover and reduce heat. Allow to simmer for 40-45 minutes. Fluff with fork.
2. While rice is cooking, heat grill to 350°. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken on grill until no longer pink in the middle.
3. Transfer cooked rice to a serving dish, place cooked chicken on top of rice, and top with queso.
Yields about 6 servings
October 19, 2015
Crock pot meals, Kid-Friendly Dishes, Side Dishes
32 oz. 2% Velveeta cheese block, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb Jennie-O ground turkey sausage
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 can Rotel
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
(optional) 1 small jalapeno, diced, seeds and membrane removed
1. Add onion to skillet over medium high heat. Sautee until translucent.
2. Add turkey sausage to skillet with onion to cook completely.
3. Add cubed Velveeta to slow cooker with Rotel, green chilies, and jalapeno. Add cooked turkey sausage and onion to slow cooker with cheese. Cook on warm, keeping stirred, until cheese melts completely.
4. Serve with tortilla chips, over rice/pasta, or in your favorite way.
Yields about 6 cups
October 18, 2015
2/3 c water, at room temperature
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1/2 c sour cream
3 c bread flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. dry yeast for bread machines
1. Add all ingredients to bread machine. I added the ingredients in the order listed (usually manufacturers directions suggest wet ingredients first, followed by dry ingredients, with yeast added last).
2. Set bread machine to large loaf and select your crust preference. I prefer to use the dough setting on my machine and bake it in the oven. If you choose to bake it in the oven instead of your bread machine, continue to step 3.
3. After dough setting is complete, turn dough onto floured counter top. Knead three to four times and place in bread pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Leave rise in a warm place for about an hour.
5. Bake for 35 minutes at 350°. Cool completely on wire rack. Slice and store in air-tight container.
Yields 1 loaf, about 16 slices
recipe from www.theprofessionalduo.blogspot.com